KRS One - There's Only One KRS

What made me buy that BDP cassette Ghetto Music that day as a teenager I don't know, but it was a lucky moment. I knew nothing about KRS at the time, and was buying a few tapes just by their covers, or maybe having read something in the liner notes. '88 was the year for rap music for me - I discovered albums like PE's Nation of Millions, De La's 3 Feet High, Jungle Brothers Straight Out the Jungle, The Great Adventures of Slick Rick, LL's Walking with a Panther and then Ghetto Music came along and blew me away (starting this mix with the opener from that killer LP).

For me KRS remains the greatest rapper of all time: master of delivery, heavy production, conscious and righteous lyrical content, and always showing real love for music, truth and knowledge. This is a little mix of some favourites (not sure how I missed Jack of Spades out). It would've been nice to put some newer tracks in as he still makes some smashers but I don't have them on vinyl. Oh, and I'm definitely no hip-hop deejay but I had to throw in a couple of scratches in there to keep it real! Big up KRS and thank you!


KRS One - There's Only One KRS

Style You Haven't Done Yet
KRS One Attacks
South Bronx
Still Number One
Step Into A World
Sound Of Da Police
Black Cop
Who Protects Us From You?
Stop the Violence
Essays on BDPism
The P is Free
Hip Hop Rule
Hold
Loves Gonna Getcha
Breath Control 1&2
Outta Here!

No comments: